Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts
Study visa / visa for applicants for a place at university
Applicants who wish to study at a college or university in Germany are required to obtain a residence permit. In order to enter Germany, a student visa has to be issued.
A study visa is a national visa but does also entitle you to enter the other Schengen countries for a stay up to 90 days for tourist purposes.
Upon submission of ALL the required documents the application will be forwarded to the competent German Aliens Authority („Ausländerbehörde“). Student visa applications take between 4 to 12 weeks to be processed, please note that this is just an estimate and the period can vary. After the application has been approved, the German Consulate will issue a residence permit in the form of a visa with the duration for the first 90 days. A final residence permit for the whole duration of your studies will be granted in Germany by the Aliens Authority. The Alien Authority requires all residence permit holders to register upon their first arrival.
Please prepare an application set with all of the following documents in the given order. Should you wish to keep any originals, kindly provide two additional copies. Any documents which are not in German/English have to be translated. Incomplete documentation may result in the rejection of your application.
- Passport (issued within the last 10 years and valid for at least 3 months beyond the validity of the visa applied for, with at least two empty pages)
- Valid resident card, duration covering at least the visa duration procedure;
- Application form fully completed, duly signed
- 2 Passport size pictures, not older than three months with a bright background and frontal view of the face (please do not attach the picture to the application form). Digitally-altered passport pictures will not be accepted
- Copy of your passports data page
- Copy of the resident card (both sides)
- Copy of the letter of acceptance from a German university
- For first-year students: Graduation certificate/ Diploma de bacalaureat
- Proof of the language skills, if required for your admission in Germany
Only recent certificates of the following providers are accepted: Goethe-Institut, telc GmbH, TestDaf-Institut, Austrian Language Diploma (ÖSD)
- If starting a language course in Germany before attending university courses, following documents must be provided: language course confirmation letter („Anmeldebestätigung“) and confirmation of payment by the language school
- If no German knowledge required (for example study language is English), official statement from the University must be provided
- Detailed and signed letter of motivation with information on the professional perspective after the studies
- Proof of housing in Germany with full address (e.g. renting contract, hotel reservation – OR - Invitation letter in case of private accommodation with name, full address and passport/resident card copy of inviting person)
- Evidence of sufficient funds for one year. The amount for sufficient funds is currently set at 934 Euro per month (subject to change). One of the following proofs is accepted: Scholarship; Blocked bank account in Germany; Declaration of Obligation (Verpflichtungserklärung) from a person in Germany + passport/ resident card copy of the inviting person (if non EU)
- Visa fee 75 Euro – payable in Lei – cash or card (Visa + Master)
- For Minors, in addition:
- birth certificate with parental information, original and official translation into German or English
- consent letter signed by both parents (signature must be certified by a notary public if parent is not present at the interview)
- application form signed by both parents
- passport copies of both parents;
To be provided after the approval of the visa:
- Flight reservation to Germany, rail tickets, bus tickets, or others
- Proof of travel health insurance (with headquarters in the EU), valid for the entire stay in the Schengen area with a minimum coverage of 30.000,00 EUR including the following details: name of insured person, length of coverage, insurance sum and repatriation coverage. Please note that health insurance coverage by credit card is not valid unless you present a letter from the credit card company with details of coverage of your trip.
Please note that the German Consulate reserves the right to ask for additional documents at any time during processing. Submission of the above mentioned documents does not guarantee that a visa is granted.